Write a Review


Private Message


BASILICA OF SAINTS JOHN AND PAUL ON THE CAELIAN HILL

rome city guide glocalistmap.com
Piazza Dei SS. Giovanni e Paolo 13, Rome
+39 06 7005 745
The church was built in 398, by will of the senator Pammachius, over the home of two Roman soldiers, John and Paul, martyred under the emperor Julian in 362. The inside has three naves, with pillars joined to the original columns. The altar is built over a bath, which holds the remains of the two martyrs. The apse is frescoed with Christ in Glory by Cristoforo Roncalli. The underground sites of the basilica were discovered in 1887 by Father Germano da San Stanislao. He found twenty decorated rooms belonging to at least five different buildings dated between the first and the fourth century AD.
Opening

Mon 8:30 a.m. at 6:30 p.m.

Tue 8:30 a.m. at 6:30 p.m.

Wed 8:30 a.m. at 6:30 p.m.

Thu 8:30 a.m. at 6:30 p.m.

Fri 8:30 a.m. at 6:30 p.m.

Sat 8:30 a.m. at 6:30 p.m.

Sun 8:30 a.m. at 6:30 p.m.

Amenities